About the Birch Run Fire Department.
Prior to the organization of the Birch Run Township Fire Department, a second hand fire truck was purchased through contributors in 1917. The Model T truck was housed in Claud Reid's garage and manned by volunteers.
We the Birch Run firefighters do solemnly swear to faithfully execute the duties as firefighter for the Township and Village of Birch Run; to selflessly serve the citizens of Birch Run with respect, integrity and excellence; and to uphold the Mission of the Department, the Constitution of the United States of America, the State of Michigan, and the laws and ordinances of Birch Run; so help us God.
In the winter of 1941, after several fires occurred, we came to realize that our firefighting equipment was obsolete and worn out. A few local citizens took it upon themselves to call a meeting, which was held at the Birch Run State Bank, to discuss ways and means to secure modern firefighting equipment. The consensus of opinion was that the equipment should be owned and operated by the Township. A public meeting was then held at the Birch Run Township Hall and a petition was circulated that the Township raise by taxation the amount of $5000 to buy a new truck and equipment to build a building to house the equipment. This petition was approved by the voters by a large majority at the spring election.
Fire calls were received at the local funeral home and they ran to the fire station to sound the siren to alert firefighters. Along with mutual aid to neighboring departments, Birch Run Township Fire Department provided protection for Taymouth Township and Albee Township until their departments were formed.
Birch Run Township Fire Department's first station was located on Conquest Street north of Main Street, the current location of Credit Union Plus. In 1970 a new fire station and township hall was built on Main Street at our present location. In 1998 the Township office moved to a new location allowing the fire department to expand into the entire building creating an additional truck bay, office, and increased meeting/training room space.
On February 15, 2018, the Birch Run Twp. Fire Department moved into a newly built fire station located at 11235 Dixie Hwy, Birch Run, located North of Meijers.
December 28, 1941 - Birch Run School District No. 5, January 9, 1956 - Chas Wolohan Inc. Lumber Yard,
March 18, 1968 - Exit Restaurant, August 11, 1969 - Wickes Elevator, December 30, 1980 - Conlee Oil,
November 22, 1984 - Christys Eatery and Pub, March 1, 1990 - Suski Body Shop,
December 20, 2002 - Birch Run Fire Department's 10,000th call,
August 5, 2007 - Burger King / BP Gas Station